Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
21 Feb 2014
Soundcloud snippets can be added by using the following format: {soundcloud <url> }
  • Page:

TOPIC: Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep

Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep 2 months 4 days ago #193

I'm sorry you've had a tough time getting the site back up and running the way you'd like. I hope perhaps it will work out for you eventually. It's wonderful that you have kids...I so enjoyed my two, and have lots of wonderful memories of the times when they were young. They are both in college now.

When DIVA was still in beta, I was one of a number of people who were testing it and offering Urs comments about features and such. We had a little contest for patches and my patches were created for the pre-production version of DIVA. That's why they don't work so well! I do have quite a few newer patches now, though they are actually a few years old.

I usually don't talk about my disabilities much, because most people really don't want to hear about it, but I will fill you in briefly since you asked! Unfortunately I can't play at all now. I am holding off on surgery because surgery for epicondylitis is very painful, recovery is slow, and the results are often not so good. I feel that I am getting better very slowly, though it's been almost two years now. We'll see what the future holds. For now I am hoping to heal and really enjoying photography immensely. Thank you for the kind comments. My hands have Dupuytren's contracture, especially my left, but it appears to have stopped progressing for now. That surgeon wants to wait until it gets worse, but my hands are not too bad so if my arm can heal I will play again! As for my back, it is my primary problem has been for over 10 years now, It will not likely ever get better since doctors and therapists really have no long-term cure nor even effective therapy for severe chronic trigger point spasms. I also have a severe left leg disability (my left leg was shattered below the knee when I was a kid) and I wear a leg brace to get around! So between all these things, it's a bit of a challenge but I am not a quitter, I keep going as best I can.

I do a bit of HDR photography but not too much. I have started to do quite a bit of panoramic. I use a lot of old Japanese manual-focus lenses, which I think are superior to modern lenses for landscape photography. The old Nikons are smaller, better made, focus much more precisely, and have depth-of-field markings which are wonderful for landscape - most younger photographers don't know what they are missing!

I really miss my music, but as long as I can hobble out into Nature and enjoy the beauty all around me, I will be content :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Dan Ling.

Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep 2 months 1 week ago #192

Hi Dan, I'm sorry to hear that you're not okay. I really hope you can get into surgery fast. But it won't be for your back and hands then I guess?
You created some stunning images! Such vibrant colors. Do you shoot HDR pictures? I really like your work.

I'm still using your DIVA patch contributions, although some don't work in their latest version. You never touched a keyboard lately? I got a new friend with a Lync LN4 which I've send your patches and he loves them as well. Hope you don't mind. I'm trying to get this site and its sister site, lyncsystems.com up and running again. Such a shame that all the jan-hammer legacy got lost. I didn't had the time because in the last couple of years I had my hands full of my newborns. But now they are a little older and I can put some time in the websites again. So I'm back!

I hope to hear something from you if you'd like to. Until then, take care.

Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep 2 months 3 weeks ago #191

Hi Erwin, I am not very well. I am not dying or anything...but I have multiple physical disabilities, including my back, hands and right arm. For the past couple of years I haven't been able to play much at all. I am hopeful that I might play again after I have surgery on my arm (chronic lateral epicondylitis).

To keep myself out of trouble, I have taken up my old hobby of landscape photography. I live in a beautiful area with my wife (upstate NY). You can link to my sites from my domain at danling.com if you'd like to see what I've been up to. I can't do much and everything takes forever to finish, partly because I can't spend too long at a computer. I hope to be able to both learn from other photographers as well as teach a bit of technique.

I hope you and yours are well. What are you up to these days?

Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep 2 months 3 weeks ago #190

Hi Dan,

how are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a long time..

Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep 2 years 2 months ago #165

It's weird but I have written two lengthy posts, then suddenly they just disappear!

Of course I remember you now. You and I are like two sides of the same coin. I know more about Jan's early days than I do about his later work, so I can't answer any of your questions about the late 80's onward.

It's great what you've done. I think you should try to make the site as new and different as possible. It had kind of died on the vine and I think people would appreciate something totally fresh. I like the emphasis on the music, gear, technique, etc. but I think it will be tough to draw people to the site. I will try to mention it to people who show interest in Jan.

I try to keep interest in Jan's playing alive. I'm far from a great player, just an amateur, but there are so few good synthesizer players that I stand out a bit. When people hear my playing I always mention Jan as my inspiration.

I am not well. My back keeps me in bed a lot more than is healthy. And now I have developed Depuytren's Contracture in both hands. My left hand is really bad but I can still play, mostly with the right. It's getting worse but I'm trying to treat it aggressively. I've been working one final collaboration with an old friend, when that's done I plan to start working on some ambitious projects of my own while I still can.

I'm a huge fan of U-He synths. Diva is my favorite, but Urs has a new modular called Bazille that's amazing. Then there's Ace, and Zebra. They are incredibly beautiful sounding and so infinite in the sounds they can make!

Acid Eats Metal - an example of sync sweep 2 years 2 months ago #163

Hi Dan,
Thanks for sharing your tune. I think you've succeeded pretty well in nailing Jan's technique(s).

Also welcome (back) to this site. Unfortunately there are not many old jan-hammer.net site users who have rediscovered this site, but I hope we can build a new Knowledge Base about Jan Hammer and his playing techniques etc.

We did have some contact in the past (I'm BurnettX360) about your playing technique and patches you made for Omnisphere and Diva. BTW. How are you feeling these days?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Ling

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds